Woolwich VC holder commemorated in Maryon Park
As part of the commemoration for World War 1 the Royal borough of Greenwich is recognising all those who were awarded the Victoria Cross. A commemorative plaque has being installed in Maryon Park along the Woolwich Road section in the cobbles by the Eastern gate to Henry Edward Kenny.
Henry Edward Kenny was born on 27th July 1888 at 6 Glen More Place, Woolwich. Henry and his family moved to Hackney when he was one or two years old.
In 1915, Henry was serving as a Private in the 1st Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. On 25th September 1915, the first day of the Battle of Loos, Henry went out six times to rescue injured men, each time under heavy shell, rifle and machine gun fire. As he handed the last man over the parapet of the trench, he was himself wounded in the neck.
By the conclusion of the War, Henry had been promoted to Sergeant. During the Second World War, he served in the Home Guard.
He died peacefully on 6th May 1979 in Chertsey, Surrey. He is buried nearby in St John’s Cemetery, Woking, Surrey.